Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The circle of "Life"




                                          The circle of "Life"
                                                     



What is on this platter? Can you name any of them? Can you think of any health benefits from any of these?

I took this picture in 2010 while studying at Kushi Institute. I had an awesome opportunity to work as an assistant in Kushi's kitchen for 4 months under several really great Macrobiotic chef's. If you've never heard of Kushi Institute it is the hub of Natural Food and Healing Institutes. There are two more center's in Amsterdam and Japan but most people seem to travel far and wide to the center in the USA...of all places...the middle of nowhere in Massachusetts...I was no different.  It was kind out of complete randomness that I landed there in 2010. Prior to this I was working as a photographer on Carnival Cruise Line, travelling quite extensively throughout the Caribbean, working long hours and at the same time having quite the party life that is part of being on a cruise ship. When I ended my contract; I was worn out and in need of  doing something good for my body after several months of working long hours and equally long late night escapades. It was a  truly great adventure that I wouldn't trade in a million years but I came off feeling a need to get my ying yang back centered. 

I started volunteering at meditation center's that conducted silent retreat centers in the US and then in Canada. I had a little change in my pocket and was pondering my next steps in life...which direction to go... so I decided this would be a good in between while I figured things out.  I wound up working in the kitchen as a prep cook, assistant and then Kitchen Manager at the retreat centers. Serving vegetarian food at the centers replenished my health and my desire to pursue the usage of whole foods as a vocation. Through word of mouth throughout the year, people started to notice my passion for natural foods and someone suggested I might really enjoy learning Macrobiotic's and told me about Kushi. I checked into it and was happy with what I saw. It seemed right up my aisle but when I looked at the prices for courses I knew at the time I couldn't afford it. 

After a week I contacted the Institute and found out they offered an 'apprenticeship'option. I would work 4 months in the kitchen under the Macrobiotic Chefs helping out in the kitchen in order to 'earn' part of the program. Not a bad deal. By September 2010, I was checking in at the solitary magical  land of Kushi in The Berkshires, MA. 

It took some adjusting as you can imagine. The Berkshires is a very secluded off the grid place in the middle of nowhere but is perfect for ponders...a place to walk the mountains, sit by a bridge, meditate and let answers come to you. 

As I became accustomed to the lifestyle of Kushi and also the food; I really dove into any creative freedom I was allowed with the food. One of my greatest joys strangely was blanching the 'greens' and creating the platters for lunch and dinner for the students to enjoy. Hey, it's the small pleasures after all...right?

Here is one of the platters I took a shot of that was a common one we used at KI. When I say 'common' I mean the veggie's on here were some of the frequently used during eating times.

Here is what is on the platter and some of the health benefits of each of them:

Nappa Cabbage- (the outer ring of the circle) Nappa Cabbage is a mainland vegetable of China. Similar to Bok Choy it has a sweet, crunchy celery taste to it. 

Health benefits:
1.It is a zero-calorie food
2. Good source of folates and  B-complex vitamin. Folic acid is one of the essential components of DNA. Excellent to consume around the time of conceiving birth.
3. Like in other cabbages, Napa has adequate levels of vitamin K, provides about 38% of RDA levels. Vitamin-K has a potential role in the bone metabolism by promoting osteotrophic activity in bone cells. Basically makes you have healthy bones.
4. it is a very natural source of electrolytes and minerals like calcium, potassium, phosporous, manganese, iron and magnesium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure. 


Kale- (the inner-ring) Kale is an annual plant, flourishes well in rich organic soil and prefers cool climate and light frost conditions. 

Health Benefits:
1. Helps protect against prostate and colon cancers.
2. Very rich source of ß-carotene, lutein and zea-xanthin. These flavonoids have strong anti-oxidant and anti-cancer activities.
3. Very rich in vitamin A. Vitamin A is required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin and is essential for vision. Foods rich in this vitamin are known to offer protection against lung and oral cavity cancers.

Red Cabbage-(the purple part on tray)

Health Benefits:
1. Red cabbage may combat all kinds of cancers in its variety.
2. Contains twice as much Vitamin C as Green Cabbage
3. Packed with Vitamin K, B6, potassium and magnagese.

Daikon- (the julienned 'bulls eye' on the tray) Daikon isthe Japanese name for 'white' radish. 

Health Benefits:
1. Daikon is one of many vegetables linked in studies with successful cancer prevention. Daikon contains several great antioxidants associated with fighting free radical damage, a known cause of cancer. 
2. Daikon leaves have a much higher concentration of vitamin C than that of daikon roots.
3. Daikon appears to be able to combat bacterial and viral infections.
4. Daikon helps the kidneys discharge excess water. A natural diuretic, it may also be helpful in treating urinary disorders.
5. In Asia, it is believed that daikon helps the body to burn fat, though this has not been proven.

I am just sharing a few things as I have picked up on my journey in life. Giving a part of my life and experiences along the way.  We all have one. No judgement or pretentiousness. I just want to share and hopefully every now and then you may gain something beneficial out of my rants that can impact/improve your life....maybe. LOL! I'm still learning and a student of life as well...let's take the journey together!

Always
Peace. Love. Life



No comments:

Post a Comment